Ginseng extract is an extract or concentrated powder obtained by extracting and concentrating the roots or leaves of Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer.
Ginseng is native to the mountains of Northeast China, the East Russia, and the Korean Peninsula. It is a protected plant both in China and Russia. Most of the ginseng in the market are come from plants grown in China, South Korea, Russia, and parts of Japan. Ginseng is a slow growing perennial, and the roots are usually harvested by hand when the plant is five/six years old.
Since ancient times, ginseng has been known as the "King of Herbs". In Western countries, ginseng is also known as "the panacea" ("Panax" means "treatment of all diseases"). Its main active ingredient is ginsenoside, ginseng polysaccharide, sterol, amino acid, etc. Pharmacological studies have shown that ginseng and its main active components have the functions of regulating body metabolism, central nervous system, cardiovascular system, endocrine system, immune system and anti-oxidative stress response. In modern scientific research, the popular efficacy research on ginseng and its active ingredients at home and abroad mainly focuses on relieving physical fatigue, delaying aging, weight management, blood pressure, anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor, anti-oxidation, and glucose and lipid metabolism.
In ancient China, ginseng has always been a precious medicinal material exclusively enjoyed by the royal family and dignitaries. With the economic development, the improvement of residents' consumption level, and the promotion of ginseng planting technology, ginseng has gradually approached the vision of the general public. Nowadays, ginseng has been widely used in medicines, health products, functional foods and cosmetics. The application of health products is mostly in the form of compound recipes. The ginseng products that have been developed in functional foods include beverages, alcohol, candy, tea, preserved fruits, rice noodles and cakes, etc. The application of cosmetics and daily chemical products mostly use ginseng extract or rare saponin form.
2. Identification of Ginseng Extract
As mentioned above, ginseng belongs to the Araliaceae plant, and other plants belonging to the same family and different species include American ginseng, Panax notoginseng and others. These raw materials are also relatively common herbal medicines. Among them, because of the harsh planting conditions, the raw materials of ginseng root and Panax notoginseng root are the most expensive. Ginseng root/stem and leaf, American ginseng root/stem and leaf, Panax notoginseng root/stem and leaf all contain ginsenosides with similar components. The content of ginsenosides is often detected by the seven saponins Rg1+Re+Rf+Rb1+Rc+Rb2+Rd. The content of American ginseng is often calculated by the sum of the five saponin monomers of Rg1+Re+Rb1+Rc+Rb2+Rd. There are two algorithms for the content of Panax notoginseng. One is calculated by the three saponin monomers of R1+Rg1+Rb1, and the other is calculated by the sum of the five monomers of R1+Rg1+Re+Rb1+Rd. The above detection method for calculating the content by adding the sum of the saponin monomers is high performance liquid chromatography, or HPLC for short.
In addition to HPLC, there is also a UV-Vis spectrophotometry method for the detection of saponins content in Araliaceae plant products. The method initially refers to the content detection of
Compared with the HPLC method, the UV detection method has low equipment cost and relatively simple operation, so it is also widely used. However, because the UV detection method has no specificity, it cannot decompose the components in the sample, which leads to some fake phenomena on the market. For example, using ginseng leaf extract as ginseng root extract with a price difference of nearly 10 times. Using American ginseng extract as ginseng extract. Even American ginseng leaf extract are used as ginseng root extract. So how do we deal with this kind of scam? With nearly ten years of research and development on ginseng extracts, Herb Green Health has fully mastered the ways to deal with different scams. Share two common methods of identifying genuine and fake ginseng as follows:
First, TLC identification
1. Comparison of similarity of chromatographic expansion diagrams
2. The presence or absence of ginsenoside Rf spots: Ginsenoside Rf is a unique saponin component in ginseng. This method can effectively distinguish ginseng extract and from other Araliaceae source extract.
1. Comparison of reference medicinal materials: The extract should have peak shapes in equal proportions with the reference medicinal material at the same relative retention time.
2. Ginsenoside Rf comparison: As mentioned above, ginsenoside Rf is a unique saponin component in ginseng. Normal ginseng root extract should have a small area peak at the corresponding position, while other Araliaceae plants do not have it at the same position.
3. Comparison of index content: ginseng roots, stems and leaves come from different parts of the same plant, and the types of ginsenosides are basically the same, but the proportions of each component are quite different. This method can identify ginseng root extract and ginseng leaf extract. In response to the difficult scam of adding ginseng leaf extract to ginseng root extract, Herb Green Health can easily calculate the addition ratio of stems and leaves with the database accumulated over the years.
Since its establishment in 2011, Herb Green Health has been deeply engaged in the processing of ginseng products. It has the world's leading patented technology for removing pesticide residues, and has developed a series of ginseng extract represented with low pesticide residues. In 2019, Herb Green Health launched organic ginseng extract series. The products are sold to countries and regions with high regulatory standards such as Europe and the US. It has the most complete ginseng extract series in the world.
In recent years, Herb Green Health has made new achievements in the in-depth development of ginseng, such as rare ginsenosides represented by Rg3 and Rh2, ginseng peptides with good nutrition and absorption, black ginseng extract with exclusive patented technology, and American ginseng extract from North American imported raw material.
1. Excellent solubility: 5g of CLEAN-GINSENG® can be completely dissolved in 100mL of water, the dissolved solution is clear and transparent, and has excellent stability.
2. Excellent taste: Compared with the bitter taste of conventional ginseng root extract, CLEAN-GINSENG® obtained more natural ginseng small molecule sugar by patented technology, which makes CLEAN-GINSENG® taste sweet and refreshing. It is more favored by young people.
3. Safer nutrition: Only water is used as the processing solvent in the entire process of CLEAN-GINSENG®, and the final product is 100% from ginseng without any exogenous excipients added. After comparing with the conventional ginseng root extract in the market, it is found that the vitamin B contained in CLEAN-GINSENG® is 8-10 times that of the conventional variety, the amino acid is 5 times, and the ginseng polysaccharide is nearly 20 times.